If you’re planning to upgrade your heating or cooling system in the next year, it’s important to understand changes that will impact heat pumps and air conditioners. Starting on January 1, 2023, the Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) energy efficiency requirements will increase, meaning more efficient units, more savings and less impact on the environment. However, the new rules will require changes throughout the HVAC industry.
At MightyServ, we are already preparing for the new rules and we want our clients to have the information needed to make the right choice for their residential and commercial heating and cooling needs.
What Are the 2023 Changes for Heat Pumps and Air Conditioners?
The new standards mark the second increase in efficiency requirements in five years. Now, the North, Southeast and Southwest (CA, NV, AZ, NM) will have different efficiency standards and stricter installation requirements for central air conditioners. The efficiency ratings for heat pumps will also increase, as follows:
- Efficiency ratings for air conditioning systems will increase by one Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) based on current requirements:
- North HVAC SEER will increase from 13 to 14.
- South and Southwest: HVAC SEER will increase 14 to 15.
- Heat pumps have common efficiency requirements across the US, and these will increase from 14 to 15 SEER, about 8% higher.
- You can also see a change in labeling. The SEER rating is changing slightly and will be referred to as SEER2.
- As part of the changes, manufacturers will adopt new testing procedures. These requirements account for higher external static pressure and better represent conditions your HVAC system will face.
Questions To Ask Your HVAC Technician
The regulations call for manufacturers and installers to hit the ground running with the new 2023 requirements. For homeowners and business owners the following questions may help clarify decisions about their purchasing decisions and timing:
- How do the new 2023 HVAC regulations affect me (MightyServ is in the Southwest regions defined in the regulations)? One of our friendly consultants would be happy to give you the 5-minute rundown on the new regulations.
- How do I know a manufacturer is meeting the requirements? (Labeling requirements will address the new requirements.)
- How does this affect my current unit? It won’t affect maintenance or repairs on your current system (installed before January 1, 2023.)
- How can I find an AC or heat pump that meets the new standards? MightyServ has you covered.
Finding Fully Compliant HVAC Systems in MightyServ
MightyServ operates under the highest standards in the industry. As such, we only recommend fully compliant brands and models that meet federal standards. Feel free to reach out to our team of knowledgeable HVAC professionals with any questions you may have.
Keep in mind that the new regulations may introduce delays in the delivery of new HVAC systems and heat pumps. Coupled with continued supply challenges stemming from the pandemic, we highly recommend getting your work completed prior to the new regulations. If you want a system that meets the new standards, work with our team to order and install a unit that meets the new efficiency ratings.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation on your HVAC installation needs.