Call Today: (818) 348-4768
Text Us: (818) 348-4085

What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: How To Prevent It


Carbon monoxide poisoning may happen if CO from sources such as water heater, or heating system, or other similar gas, oil, or fuel burning appliances build up in an enclosed area. If proper ventilation is not attached to these systems, this can result in build-up of CO above safety levels in an enclosed or semi-enclosed space. Breathing the air in such a space with an over-concentration of CO may lead to CO poisoning in people and animals living in that space.

The common symptoms of CO poisoning include nausea, chest pain, sleeplessness, weakness, dizziness, etc. The problem is that the same symptoms may result from many other underlying conditions, so if a CO built-up in a space is not detected, the symptoms may aggravate and may lead to serious illnesses. It may also lead to death in extreme cases. In fact, each year four-hundred deaths are reported in US which are caused by unintentional CO poisoning.

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

The poisoning occurs mainly because our red blood corpuscles have a tendency to attract carbon monoxide quicker than they do oxygen. This means that CO can quickly replace oxygen in our blood, and this will prevent proper oxygen circulation in the tissues, resulting in the death or serious damage of the tissues. At the same time, carbon monoxide also has the potency to combine with proteins found in the human tissues and this may result in the destruction of the tissues and death.

How to prevent CO poisoning:

This is why it is vital to make sure that the heating and other appliances we use at home do not build up CO inside the home. Proper ventilation and airduct systems can ensure this for your home. An important thing is to service at least once a year all appliances which can source CO into the air. The modern HVAC systems come with these benefits and as long as you service these systems regularly and ensure that they are in proper order, you can avert all risks of CO build-up inside your home.

We are a company which provides HVAC services to a large base of clients. So, in case you ever suspect a CO build-up at your home, do give us a call or fill out this form and we will tend to all your HVAC needs at the earliest convenience.


Why US

Why MightyServ?

  • Over 60 Years in Business
  • Nate-Certified Technicians
  • Family Owned & Operated
  • Cutting-Edge Technology
  • Experts in Aeroseal Technology
  • Competitive, Upfront Pricing
  • Strong Reviews & Reputation
  • Satisfaction Guarantee

Contact Us Today!

Fill out my online form.