Your home’s air ducts are like your lungs. Your lungs take in air from the surroundings and release oxygen into your bloodstream where it circulates to the other parts of the body. Air ducts carry cooled and heated air to every room of your house or business. Like any other HVAC system components, air ducts need occasional maintenance to ensure maximum efficiency. The National Air Duct Cleaners Association suggests getting your air duct cleaning done every 3 to 5 years.
If your lungs malfunction, or inhaled smoke or other air pollutants clog them, then you will face lots of health challenges. This applies to air ducts. If dust, pet hair, or mold is present in your air ducts or they are not functioning well, the air circulating in your home will be unhealthy and dangerous. Then, you may wonder, how often should I clean my air ducts?
There’s no contractor better at providing quality HVAC ductwork cleaning than MightyServ. They provide expert and affordable services for residential and commercial systems.
What Does Air Duct Cleaning Mean?
Air duct cleaning includes the cleaning of heating and cooling components of the HVAC system like the fans, vents, coils, and grills, in a professional way using duct cleaning equipment. If not properly cleaned, these ducts may become contaminated with dust, mold, or pollen. Microorganisms will grow in the presence of moisture and their spores will be released into the home’s space. These may cause allergies or other symptoms in people when exposed to them. HVAC ductwork cleaning helps in saving energy bills and energy efficiency.
How Often Should You Get Your Air Ducts Cleaned?
This question doesn’t have one answer because it depends on several factors and (sometimes) who you ask, but in general:
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends air duct cleaning when you discover large amounts of dust, debris, or mold in your HVAC system.
- Households with pets will benefit from more frequent cleanings, usually every two years. Pet hair, fur, or dander can significantly affect people with animal allergies and constant exposure may eventually lead to developing allergies.
- You should have your air ducts cleaned if a person in your house has or develops respiratory problems or allergies.
- Mold spores can grow quickly in your ductwork if moisture or humidity is present. If traces of mold are present in your vents, you should have your ductwork cleaned as soon as possible. You might also notice an irritating smell when your HVAC system is working, which could indicate mold growth in your vents.
We also recommend cleaning the air ducts:
- When you relocate to a new house or remodel your home
- If there are smokers in your home
- If you have experienced serious accidents such as fire or flooding
- If you haven’t used your HVAC system if a long time (vacant home, for example)
Who Should You Contact To Have Your Ductwork Professionally Cleaned?
Make sure you have your ducts cleaned by an HVAC ductwork cleaning specialist. If you’re in the Los Angeles area, contact us for quality air duct cleaning or any other problem with your HVAC system cleaning. MightyServ only hires technicians certified and trained in air conditioning and heating services, including duct cleaning.